As someone who is interested in helping others achieve and maintain health, I have often found that there are a number of contradictory theories out there…especially when it comes to something as serious as Diabetes. Since this chronic illness affects many of those around me, I would like to share a compilation of helpful hints on ways to combat and help control this. Here are some of the things that MOST experts do agree on, and I have found to make scientific, physiological, and unbiased sense:
1. Eat high quality protein (ie: fish, chicken, high quality beef…preferably grass fed)
2. Get good fats…and remember that FAT IS NOT BAD…fats such as those that come from olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, and the meats mentioned above are great sources.
3. If you eat carbs at a meal, make sure you eat protein with them.
4. Try to limit your intake of carbs, especially refined ones. The carbohydrates usually consumed in America today are a major cause in the increase of blood sugar levels.
5. Space out carb consumption throughout the day in smaller portions. This permits the body’s control over spikes.
6. Reduce intake of artificial sweeteners such as Nutrisweet, Splenda, etc. Stevia seems to be a bit better.
7. Eliminate consumption and use of hydrogenated oils such as Canola or Vegetable oil. These oils often can be considered poison to the system.
8. Avoid cured meat. This is also more processed and not as high in good fats and nutrients.
9. Eliminate refined foods and sweets.
10. Aim for foods that don’t need an ingredient label (like produce or high-quality meats). If it requires an ingredient label, it is far less simple to understand.
11. Read INGREDIENT labels…not just the NUTRITION labels. If the first three ingredients or a number of the ingredients are sugars, avoid it!
12. Instead of white flours, use almond flour.
13. Check what kinds of sugar alcohols are in the product. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that seems to have little to no affect on insulin, while others might have some.
14. Try lucein containing products such as some dairy if you are not lactose intolerant…but do not go overboard!
15. If you can cut your carb intake to 25% of energy intake or to around 50-100g of carbs, you may have a better chance of reduction or reversal of your diabetic issues.
16. Finally, get some exercise. Many researchers and experts have seen benefits come from even just a vigorous walk!
I hope this helps some! If you have any questions, please feel free to post them. I am just now compiling all of my research on this, and hope to have more with time! If there is a question I am not sure about, I will research what I can and let you know!
Thanks and have a healthy day!
Great write. Especially on the sugars. I have learned that one of the major reason for weighty people an unhealthy diets is not what they eat at all but what they DRINK! And the most common ingredient in store bought drinks is high fructose corn syrup! THE WORST of sugary additives!
AS for those foods…. Do not forget Flax seed. Mixing almond flower with a portion of flax seed flower is of tremendous value!
Very true, Charlie! Thanks for mentioning that…and yes, it should be FLOUR…not FLOWER like my maiden name…LOL
and that should all say flour! LMAO!
I have currently joined the Gold’s Gym…I’ll be meetin’ with a personal trainer and hope that you’ll be around to help keep me encouraged (which I can honestly say that I’m now ready to do a lifestyle change and get in shape) and if I have any questions that hopefully I won’t bother you too much….I did go to a diabetic education class and can remember some things but I’m sure since I’ve went, they’ve probably came up with a lot of other research that I don’t know about. I’ll be lookin’ online to try to get new info as well as askin’ you about anything that I might have a question on. I’ll be lookin’ forward to spendin’ some time with ya soon.
I am soooo glad you decided to take that step to start a change in your life. I will absolutely be here to help you out. Keep in mind that each person is different and believes something different will work for people. Just remember that you can get your life in check by simply deciding that you will do what is right for you personally. I will be here to help and guide you. Keep yourself accountable…to you and those you care about, and it will transform your life! I am excited for you and your health, and I am here to help!